Happy New Year!
I am very happy to be back at the keyboard for my WordPress weblogs (NC Sun Dog, NC Prism).
Back in late 2014, I was an unhappy camper with far too much work for others and far too little work on my own projects. As a writer, photographer, and artist I was aching in my heart and my head. At some point I realized the only cure was to jump back into my creative work. To that end, I stopped working on most of my online sites and did only what was absolutely necessary for my “day job.”
It was the best thing I’ve done for myself in decades. I wrote until some letters on my keyboard vanished and I had to rely on that touch-typing class to remember where the letters are. I took photographs of people and animals and places. I sketched my way through several bins of pencil shavings. I ruined several pairs of jeans wiping paint off my hands while I finished many canvases and boards.
By mid-2015, I had actual manuscripts and full sketchbooks with enough drawings to organize into series of works. I had so many paintings I had little wall space left in the house.
I was happy again.
Now it is December of 2015 and I am moving to the next stage: organizing and completing current projects, envisioning a few new ones, and beginning to step back into the light of day. It is time to rejoin the flow of creativity that surrounds me.
My weblogs are a first toe-in-the-water. I have focused a bit more on what I want to accomplish, found designs I am comfortable using, and begun research on some of the things I hope to cover.
2016 will look different on NC SunDog. I will be posting into five categories this year.
- News will highlight my current projects as well as when and where I might be at exhibitions, readings, or conferences. If I discover something or someone whose work intrigues me, I most likely will mention it here.
- Art Projects provides information on series of images I am working on or techniques I am exploring. I am always looking for exhibition or publication opportunities so if you see something you like, please contact me.
- Drinking from the River shares ideas, quotes, music, or images that I will be using to inspire my work. I think of creative work and the knowledge of our cultures as something that flows through all of us. It is much like a river that tempts us to play in its water as it rushes past. If you find inspiration here and would like to share the results, let me know.
- Influences on My Work will be occasional posts. These may be about artists or musicians or writers whose work I admire or find helpful in some way. Because I am fortunate to know many other creative types, I may write about some I know personally whose work I like.
- Writing Projects focuses on the ideas I am exploring. Some posts may be excerpts from collections of stories I am creating. Some will share research into topics I am considering for future pieces of fiction or nonfiction.
May the strength of three be in your journey.
–Old Irish blessing